Classical Guitar Technique from Foundation to Virtuosity (2 vols)
by Stanley Yates
With a Foreword by Angelo Gilardino
"A new standard...no guitarist should be without this groundbreaking pair of volumes."
Classical Guitar Magazine (Summer 2017)
Amazon Customer Reviews:
"The most complete and useful book on classical guitar technique I've ever encountered."
"Aguado, Pujol: Yates. As a teacher, I felt that I had to buy this immediately and I've been engrossed ever since it arrived."
"Excellent...finally, someone did it..."
Another Technique Book?
Intended for intermediate and advanced players, Classical Guitar Technique from Foundation to Virtuosity offers a step by step guide to optimizing the basic foundation of playing technique and to developing it to the highest levels of advanced playing in a day to day sequence of short, clearly explained practice sessions. In 81 progressive lessons, CGT provides a comprehensive and precisely-structured approach to the full development of playing technique from foundation to virtuosity.
- Part 1 is devoted to refinement and optimization of the fundamental movement-forms required for playing the guitar
- Part 2 develops the advanced techniques required for mastery and virtuosity
- each lesson can be assimilated over a 2-3 week period with 10-15 minutes of daily practice
- the 81 lessons form a progressive sequence in two inter-related streams (Right-Hand and Left-Hand) practiced concurrently for a total of 20-30 minutes of daily practice
- exercises are distributed over 3, 4 or 6-day practice cycles with detailed Practice Routines that outline the work to be done on each day of a cycle
- concise instructions describe exactly how to practice each exercise
- lessons include musical context—a musical passage or a recommended standard repertoire study or other appropriate piece that fully internalizes and maintains a technique once the lesson exercises have been assimilated
- for most lessons, a concluding Notes section clarifies counter-intuitive aspects and pedagogical issues relating to the technique being studied, along with the methodology behind the exercises (for those who wish to read it...)
- Practice Grids are provided to help keep track of day to day practice
As with most of my publications, in writing Classical Guitar Technique from Foundation to Virtuosity I've attempted to write a book I was once looking for myself as a student of the guitar, but couldn't find...
From the Foreword
"With this work, Stanley Yates goes beyond the traditional concept of the guitar method or the guitar technique treatise. The history of the instrument includes outstanding examples, but none that constitutes an adequate precedent to this book from the Anglo-American master..."
“This monumental work by Stanley Yates is both a lucid summation of guitar methodologies and an innovative advancement of instrumental theory. Read it and learn.”
Mark Delpriora, Chair Guitar Department Manhattan School of Music / Instructor Undergraduate Studies The Juilliard School
"His love of both the expressive possibilities of our instrument and the tactile experience of playing it are as obvious as his mastery of the process by which virtuosity is achieved. This book may well be THE indispensable method.”
Stephen Aron, Chair Guitar Department, Oberlin Conservatory of Music
"The great guitarists make it look easy. The question is how did they achieve such a high level? Finally, the answer is found in Classical Guitar Technique from Foundation to Virtuosity. Unlock the path to developing a graceful and musically expressive playing technique."
Bill Piburn, Editor, Fingerstyle Guitar Journal
“The product of a lifetime of self-critical, analytical, and insightful artistry and teaching, Yates’ magnum opus is the most thoroughly comprehensive guitar technique manual I’ve ever seen.
Dr. Douglas James, Chair Guitar Department, Appalachian State University
This is a ‘go to’ book that comes along once in a generation. Decades of thought, analysis, insight, and successful teaching are evident on every page. Classical Guitar Technique will become standard for students and teachers alike—an incredible resource.
Dr. Michael Quantz, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley